Huawei is back with a new “updated” smartphone, the P30 Lite New Edition.
Artículo disponible en Español | Article disponible en Français
Huawei is back with another confusing device, the P30 Lite “New Edition”, which is supposedly also called the P30 Lite (2020). This strategy of releasing devices with the same name as successful past versions is not new for Huawei, with the manufacturer having done the same with the P8 Lite and the P8 Lite (2017). In this case, this rebrand is aimed at selling a “new” device with Google Mobile Services onboard, instead of Huawei Mobile Services.
If we focus on Europe, the P30 Lite “New Edition” is coming out this month in various different countries, such as the UK, Netherlands, Italy, etc, costing 349€/£299. Compared to the original P30 Lite, this new variant has 6GB of RAM and 256GB of internal storage, instead of 4GB+128GB. Now, the main difference mentioned in the European marketing material is the 32MP selfie camera and the 48MP rear camera. This differs from the two variants we could find previously, which had either 32MP on the front and 24MP+8MP+2MP on the back, or 24MP on the front and 48MP+8MP+2MP on the back. As we had pointed out in a past article, it was possible to find both variants in some markets, making the purchase extremely confusing.
Of course, things aren’t so simple. In other markets, mostly Africa and the Middle East, from what we’ve seen, the P30 Lite “New Edition” isn’t new at all, having released between July 2019 and September-October 2019. The configuration sold in those countries doesn’t match the variant sold here, with 6GB of RAM, 128GB of internal storage and a selfie camera of 24MP instead of 32MP. On the back, the manufacturer advertises the 48MP camera, likely being the marketing point in those regions.
The rest of the device matches the original one, being the same size, having the same display, powered by the Kirin 710 and coming with a 3 340mAh battery. For the colours, we find once again Midnight Black and Peacock Blue, with the addition of Breathing Crystal, which we initially saw on the P30 and P30 Pro. The listing also mentions “Pearl White”, although this appears to be a mistake. The Huawei UK page says the codename of this device is “Marie-L21BX” (MAR-L21BX), at least for the version sold in the UK.
Here are the specifications of the P30 Lite “New Edition” available in Europe:
- Kirin 710 (AI capabilities)
- 6GB of RAM
- 256GB of internal storage, expandable with microSD cards up to 512GB
- 6.15” FHD+ IPS LCD display, with 2312×1080 pixels resolution, notch
- 152.9×72.7×7.4 mm, 159 grams
- Fingerprint reader on the back, facial recognition
- Selfie camera 32MP, f/2.0
- Triple camera setup on the back:
- 48MP, f/1.8, wide angle lens
- 8 MP, f/2.4, ultra-wide angle lens
- 2 MP, f/2.4, bokeh lens
- 3 340mAh battery, USB Type-C Charger, 18W QuickCharge, full charge in around 105 minutes
- EMUI 9.1/Android 9.0
- WLAN 2.4G: 802.11b/g/n; 5G: 802.11 a/n/ac, 2.4GHz/5GHz, 4G LTE, Bluetooth 4.2, BLE, HWA, dual-SIM, GPS/GLONASS/BeiDou/AGPS
- Gravity, ambient light, proximity, gyroscope, compass sensors
- Headphone jack
- NFC support
- Available in 4 colours: Midnight Black, Peacock Blue, Pearl White (?) and Breathing Crystal
- The price for the 6GB+256GB variant is 349€ (VAT included)
As per usual, the launch comes with various promotions. For example, in Italy, those purchasing the device on Amazon.it will be getting a phone cover, as well as the FreeLace.
More on this subject: