Huawei’s Mate RS Porsche Design just received August’s update, which includes Google’s July security patch and Huawei’s GPU Turbo.
Artículo disponible en Español | Article disponible en Français
Huawei’s August patch includes Google’s July security patch, as well as Huawei’s GPU Turbo, which, according to Huawei, increases performance in games up to 60% while decreasing battery consumption by 30%. The patch also includes Huawei’s Game Suite.
First, let’s have a look at the patch itself. This patch changes the version from NEO-L29 188.8.131.52(C721) to NEO-L29 184.108.40.206(C721) and is about 600 MB in size.
The patch notes read as following:
- [System] Adds the Huawei GPU Turbo acceleration technology. You can now enjoy smoother gaming. It’s recommended that you enable Game acceleration in Game Suite for a better gaming experience.
- [Apps] Adds the Game Suite app. Enable Uninterrupted gaming for a smoother gaming experience during intense scenes like team battles.
- [Security] Integrates Google security patches released in Jul 2018 for improved system security.
Curiously, Huawei’s GPU Turbo was not supposed to arrive on the Mate RS so soon. Huawei’s own press documents specified that the Mate 10 series and the Porsche Design Mate 10 would receive GPU Turbo in August, followed by the P20 series later on, and, finally, the Mate RS at the end. We’re not complaining, of course, it’s always good/nice to see that a premium device is getting proper support. We’ve asked some people if their Mate 10 series devices received GPU Turbo, but, so far, none did. We’ll see if the P20 Pro receives GPU Turbo this month or not.
Let’s have a quick look at Game Suite, then. Game Suite is… an app? In a few words, one of the options it offers is smoother gameplay at the cost of battery life. Here are some screenshots of the app:
First of all, Game Suite says “Game Suite automatically identifies gaming apps and collects them in one place. These apps cannot be deleted from your device in Game Suite. Game Suite features will only take effect on apps in Game Suite.”
In other words, apps that are inside the Game Suite folder cannot be deleted from the device, just removed from the folder. The features offered by Game Suite will also only apply to apps that are in the folder.
Game Suite then offers two modes:
- Game Acceleration: “When Game acceleration is enabled, system settings will be optimised for gaming. The performance of games will be improved, but your device will consume power more quickly.”
- Do not disturb: “[Uninterrupted gaming] When enabled, all onscreen notifications will be blocked except for call, alarm, and low battery notifications. Calls and alarms will be silenced, and your device will not vibrate.
[Zero interruptions] When enabled, incoming calls, SMS messages, and MMS messages will be blocked when you are gaming over a mobile network to prevent connection lag. All Uninterrupted gaming settings will also apply.
Note that enabling this feature will disable all services on your secondary SIM card and voice calls on your primary SIM card (VoLTE calls excluded). This may cause you to miss calls. Services will be restored to normal on both cards when you exit the game, but missed calls will not be displayed.
In the settings, it is also possible to disable Knuckle gestures during games.
Overall, the explications are pretty self-explanatory, so there isn’t much else to say.
More on this subject: