The Spanish Constitutional nullifies the law of the referendum used by the Catalonian government to organize the event.
The 17th of October, the court nullified by unanimity of its 12 magistrates the “Law on the Referendum on Self-Determination” of Catalonia.
According to the Constitutional’s ruling, the base used by the Catalonian government for the creation of this law has been wrongly interpreted, since it doesn’t allow the unilateral secession of a part of national territory, and that it can only be applied to colonies or a minority that is oppressed, dominated or exploited inside a State.
On top of that, the law of the referendum collides with Article 1 of the Spanish Constitution, putting the Parliament on the edge of law and entering illegality.
More on this subject:
- Spanish Government applies article 155 (21/10/2017)
- Spanish Government to apply article 155 Saturday (20/10/2017)
- Catalonians’ bullshit (20/10/2017)
- Spanish Government tries to avoid applying last measure (Article 155) (19/10/2017)
- Catalonia asks for more time to answer the Government (18/10/2017)
- Spanish government to take control of Catalonia depending on Puigdemont’s reply (15/10/2017)